Saturday, September 09, 2006

Happy Tomato

It was a strange growing season this year. Rain and more rain followed by hot with a capital H. We were unable to get the tomato crop in the garden until the middle of June. Finally we get to reap the result of our efforts. The big success this year are the Early Girl tomatoes. Ripe, flavorful, medium size orbs of tastiness. The Roma Toms are doing great as well and will mostly end up in fresh salsa and tomato sauce. The Brandywine heirloom variety were a little disappointing although the ugly little few we harvested had a uniquely wonderful taste. No bug problems to report but the deer are taking an interest. My dog barking and the fence have held them at bay so far.
\
My favorite recipe for a dead ripe tomato is just a simple sandwich. Toast two slices of Alfaro's Santa Cruz Sourdough bread. Spread liberally with Best Foods Mayo. Add salt and pepper, it's easy money honey.
This little happy tomato grew a nose so my daughter decided to add the rest.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hey young buck stay outta my garden !
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Just read today's SFGate article reviewing Burrito joints in the Bay Area. Not a single Novato taqueria made the list. What's the best mexican/taqueria in Novato?

Mona said...

Wow, that's a mighty big garden you have. That tomato sandwich sounds fabulous. I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts mayo on their sandwiches. I just somehow can't get enough. I'm flying out to CA a week from today for a week-long break and I cannot WAIT Greg. I'll be there for my bday and a friend's wedding in Marin. Hope you had a good weekend! Maybe I'll bump into you in the tomato patch:)