Friday, August 05, 2011

What's for Dinner?

I know I have the skills to create recipes but sometimes it is just plain easier to answer the question of what's for dinner with a quality prepared product. This time I tried Trader Joe's Maui style Hawaiian beef short ribs. There in the meat case they await you, all marinated and ready to go. I threw them on the grill at home and in short order dinner was ready. The marinade caramelized a bit on the grill giving them a nice crust. The meat is appropriately chewy and would adapt nicely to a taco or flat bread. I sliced the meat and served it over rice and garlic mushrooms. Most of the packages contain about a pound, which is a bit much for just the two of us. I got double duty by packing lunch for Avril and myself the next day.

Photobucket
Trader Joe's Hawaiian beef short ribs

On the left dinner is served. On the right packaged for lunch the next day.

6 comments:

Zoomie said...

This is a new product to me - must check it out. I don't usually include Trader Joe's in my rounds of farmer's market/supermarket, but I probably should. All kinds of folks seem to love them.

Greg said...

Zoomie- Check them out. I go early in the morning on a weekday to avoid the crush. Never go when hungry because they have all kinds of tasty goodies to tempt you.

Chilebrown said...

Short ribs have a lot of flavor. I will have to stop by Trader Joes

Greg said...

Chilebrown- I think the marinade involves soy and such. Easy.

cookiecrumb said...

I confess I like TJ's too, but not everything. This looks nice! I just find myself fidgeting over issues of organic, local, sustainable... What a harsh diet it is to be elitist! :D

Greg said...

I agree that not everything is the best at TJ's. It's a noble goal you have. They seem to be offering more organic products. I always buy their Cali Olive Oil. Not the $30 you pay for the real local, but $7. They seem like a responsible and responsive bunch and take good care of their employees (my kid works there.)Some days I just like to put tasty food on the table cheap and easy.Oh, and let's not forget my Cali wine for $2! :)