Friday, October 29, 2010

As Gouda as it Gets

I decided to expand my cheese horizons today. The rain is pounding down and my taste buds crave comfort food. What is more comfortable than a grilled ham and cheese sandwich? I have a habit of using medium Cheddar but today I thought I would put Dutch Gouda to the test. I grilled some Westphalia ham. The package said it was ninety nine percent fat free so I fried it in butter to compensate. With a small nod toward the healthy, I used whole wheat bread to complete the sandwich. The cheese melted to a nutty, soft mass of goodness. The ham provides a salty, caramelized component. My homemade bread and butter pickles add a touch of acid and sweetness. Looks like I'll be adding this sandwich to the menu.

5 comments:

kudzu said...

I happily recall your bread and butter pickles. Thanks for jogging my memory; I should make some for the holidays -- they're lovely.

Chilebrown said...

I have a weakness for the Aged Gouda from Oakdale.(various farmers markets). Pricey but oh so worth it.

cookiecrumb said...

Never thought of using Gouda on a grilled cheese sandwich. Yum!
Your pickles look good.

Zoomie said...

Can't resist saying - that looks so Gouda!

Greg said...

Kudzu- Thanks.They are a cinch
Chilebrown- Will have to check that out.
Cookiecrumb- Thanks. They don't last long around here.
Zoomie- I was just being cheesy;)
BTW Where ya been??