Monday, February 15, 2010

Chinese New Year 2010

Happy Chinese New Year - Year of The Tiger

We exhausted ourselves watching people celebrate Valentines Day by beating each other silly with pillows. It was time for another celebration, Chinese New Year. We had checked into the Hilton San Francisco Financial District, next to Chinatown, earlier and observed dragon dancers setting up for a show. Upon our return to the hotel the sound of firecrackers and celebration could be heard up and down the streets. We also heard the sound of sirens, so many, into the night. It amazed me that my brain could get used to the sounds and I had a very restful night on a comfortable bed.

In the morning we took a short walk through the nearly deserted Chinatown and ended up at The New King Tin restaurant on Washington St.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Grant Ave. Chinatown - The New King Tin

We consumed an enormous, more than one should have, breakfast. We ate Congee (rice porridge), Chinese Donuts, Har Gow (shrimp dumplings) and Lo Mai Gai (sticky rice in lotus leaf). Including tea and tax our bill came to $12.50! We won't have to eat until dinner time.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Sticky Rice/ Shrimp Dumpling -Chinese Donuts, Rice Porridge

5 comments:

Zoomie said...

Good idea to take part in the year of the Tiger celebrations in person! Very lucky!

cookiecrumb said...

All the time I lived in San Francisco, I found it too daunting to drive into Chinatown for the festivities. Coulda taken MUNI, I suppose.
But I love your idea of sleeping over! Too bad we've got the puppy.

Michael said...

I have been to this restaurant a couple of times and I must say that this is one of my favorite chinese restaurants! They serve great food and the attendants are really nice. Not to mention that the food is really cheap. You should try their coffee it tastes really good! Great post!

Greg said...

Zoomie- I avoid the Chinese New Year Parade because of the huge crowds. At other times it is manageable.
Cookiecrumb- I always take the ferry to the city.No way I would drive.
Mike-thanks for stopping by. New King Tin is our favorite at breakfast time.

Yumble said...

Incredibly jealous of this and all the yumbly food on here. There is some decent food to be found here in Jamaica, but nothing like all this stuff back home. My Jamaican favorites so far: jerk chicken (of course), festivals, chicken patties, coco bread. Lots of fried things and buttery things. Check em out.