Saturday, September 03, 2005

Comfort Food

It seems a bit frivolous to blog about food as I watch and read reports about the victims of Hurricane Katrina. It strikes me that food may be the main issue on those peoples minds. I am reminded how fragile our food chain really is. When the supermarket is closed we are out of luck. The ATM card, cell phone, and computer are out order and our world crashes.
Do I have the answer to this problem? No, but I want to learn what I can do to help. Prayers and best wishes to those affected. I think money sent to agencies that work in disaster recovery would be money well spent. The Red Cross and The Salvation Army will be working to determine the best way to help the victims. Dr Biggles over at Meathenge has New Orleans connection that needs help. Invest your time and money wisely.
Here in the Bay Area we could be in a similar position as New Orleans in a heartbeat. The bridges go down and our food chain is out the door. How do Whole Foods or Safeway get the food? By truck. No bridge no food. This thought gives renewed credibility to the eat local cause. Sure would be nice to have friendly farmer down the road when the truck from Mexico can't get here.
I have promised myself that this weekend I will put together supplies that will allow me and my family to survive. I always have heard to put away enough for 72 hours but it looks like maybe 2 weeks would be a better plan. Maybe add a little more to help your friends.
If it was in my power I would invite all of New Orleans over for a comfort breakfast. Bacon and sausage, biscuits and gravy. pancakes and maple syrup, grits with butter, potatoes and onions. Life is fragile. Enjoy.

1 comment:

cookiecrumb said...

We often have reserve water jugs on hand, but now I'm thinking of getting a water-purification kit.
A few years ago I interviewed Tom Phipps at his ranch in Pescadero, CA. He said he had sympathetic visitors who told him, nonetheless, that if he went out of business, they'd still get their produce at Safeway. Yeah. What produce?? Bless the small farmers.