Monday, June 25, 2012

Call it a Paco

Normally I ignore crazy ideas that come to me in the middle of the night, because by light of day most seem pretty far fetched. I have been obsessing over pizza lately and experimenting with different equations for making dough. At two in the morning my brain imagined using pizza dough as a base for a taco and calling it a 'Paco' (Pizza + Taco = Paco.)  After coffee the next day I started doing internet research to see if I could find a reference for Paco. It seems that Paco is the Spanish nickname for Francisco. In English that translates to Francis, my father's name. Wow, now that's really cool! Paco would be the name for my new food invention
I rolled out small rounds of "long rise" pizza dough, brushed them with olive oil and threw them on a hot grill. When bubbles appeared I flipped them and applied some cheddar cheese. I closed the lid for a few seconds and then removed the screaming hot Pacos to a plate. I had  a selection of toppings waiting. I chose carne asada and pico de gallo for my photo shoot. The pizza dough provided a sturdy crunchy-chewy vehicle for the toppings. It was easier eating and less messy than a regular tortilla.The Paco is born!

Photobucket
Paco Carne Asada with Pico de Gallo

6 comments:

Zoomie said...

Cool idea! I need to make some pizza dough soon - it has been a long time.

Greg said...

Zoomie- I am finding lots of ways to use the dough. The "Paco" shell is sturdy so I can stuff it and not worry about dropping it on must shirt;)

Chilebrown said...

What ever you call them they look good.Long rise is the secret to great dough. I cannot wait for my tomato's to ripen to make pico de gallo.

Greg said...

Chilebrown- Thanks! I have to remember to make the dough two or three days in advance. I used sweet little cherry toms to make the pico.

cookiecrumb said...

I bet that's fun eating!
Are they stiff, or can you fold them?

Greg said...

cookiecrumb- They are easy to fold similar to a New York style pizza. They are also very large so just one giant taco will fill you up.