Saturday, February 12, 2011

An Apple a Day

Posted by Picasa
In a effort to inject more fruit into our diet, I have been purchasing pre-sliced apples at Trader Joe's. I know I could just cut up an apple, but in early morning it is more likely that I will pop some slices into the lunch box than be slicing. To date the apples have been a pleasant sweet-tart flavor. This batch was a more tart-tart flavor profile that drew a wrinkled brow from those who ate them. I hated to throw them away so I decided to make dessert. The cupboard was little bare, so I used what I had.

I peeled the skin and mixed about quarter cup of brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a large pat of butter together in a baking dish and cooked for about an hour. The first half hour covered and finished uncovered. (These apples were very firm so the cooking time was long.) I would have added a little lemon and some apple cider if it was available. In this case, a splash of water kept the dish moist. I topped with a dollop of sour cream but french vanilla ice cream would have carried it over the top. Waste not, want not I say. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

Or a dab of Greek yogurt. Yum.

Chilebrown said...

I can dig it. Apples are my new candy bars. I am a little perplexed and confused about the concept of pre-sliced apples at Trader Joe's? Convience?,price? I do not get it. I just munch an apple and launch the core at a meter maid.. Peace!

mona said...

sounds good, G! we have some apple slices in our office fridge but they seem to go bad fairly quickly. so i've suggested apple sauce instead. ha. talk about LAZY :) hope all's well in your neck of the woods!

Greg said...

Zoomie- Greek yogurt is the best.
Chilebrown-They are great for dipping in yogurt or caramel sauce ;)
Mona- Where the heck you been girl??? You a Cali girl still?