Saturday, September 26, 2009

Runaway Weekend - San Fran

We have a cruise to Mexico in the near future and have been trying to limit our travel expense to accumulate a little nest egg for that. I have a habit of checking out hotel prices in San Francisco. In my explorations I discovered a four star hotel in the Embarcadero area of the city. The price was $126, about half the price of rooms listed in the last few months. So with reckless abandon I booked it. Hotwire.com only tells you the hotel name after you pay them, so I was pleasantly surprised to find we were staying at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero.

This Hyatt is a large hotel with magnificent lobby and glass elevators. We checked into a spacious well decorated room on the twelfth floor. Just down the hall, floor to ceiling windows provide a stellar view of the Ferry Building.
Photobucket
We brunched with my oldest daughter and her boyfriend at Perry's a couple of blocks away and did a little exploring around the the Embarcadero Center. They have always done a superb job of landscaping here, but we loved the idea of the herbs and edible plants that provided color to the planters. There was basil, chives, chard, lettuces, strawberries, parsley and flowers.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Later that evening, I was online looking at places to go for dinner and down on the street someone was playing I Left My Heart in San Francisco on the violin. Sometimes one can leave their wallet in the city because the restaurant prices are so high. We had thoughts of going to the Tonga Room at the Fairmont but that would require a trek we had no energy for. We headed out for a cocktail before dinner. Fuzio, a restaurant adjacent to the Embarcadero Cinema, has a cute little bar we checked out. They have a Martini menu priced at about $10 but the drinks are so huge one is enough. I had a traditional gin marty and April had a cosmo.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
As we sipped, the bartender slipped us the bar menu. For around $7 each we had pizza and spring rolls for dinner. This night I did not leave my wallet in San Francisco.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

1 comment:

Zoomie said...

You always find such fun and inexpensive ways to enjoy the city!