Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cafe Trieste Breakfast

It's Saturday at eight in the morning and I've just had blood drawn at Kaiser. It's a part of my annual physical which I've put off for about four years. I hate doctors and normally avoid them at all costs. After a while you got to do what you got to do. They make you fast for twelve hours before the test so I am leaving here in search of coffee and breakfast. I read that the venerable Cafe Trieste of San Francisco opened a branch just off fourth street in San Rafael. We arrived and scored a parking space just outside the front door. The street seemed vacant compared to the crazy traffic that is the norm later in the day. I was expecting an assortment of pastries to go with my house coffee but there is so much more. There is a large menu with too many choices to make this early on Saturday.
I chose a panini with fresh mozzarela and proscuitto on foccacia. My wife picked the Italiano Scramble with sun dried tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese. Both were outstanding. The tab for two was under twenty including coffee. Portions are large and either plate would have have fed us both. Not to worry, we took home the leftovers and for lunch. The place is brand shiny new with a couple of huge flat sceens overhead. There is outdoor seating for warmer days.
I know that this location in San Rafael has turned over a few restaurants already but I think this one is going to be a keeper. It has potential to be a great hangout like the original in San Fran.
Photobucket
Italiano Scramble
Photobucket
Panini
Cafe Trieste
1002 Court Street(at corner of Fourth St)
San Rafael, CA 94960(415) 785-8661

No comments: