Saturday, October 06, 2007

October Harvest

I have been feeling a little sad about the demise of my beloved summer. There is no way to deny it, fall is in the air. We were off to the farmers market to partake of the seasons offerings. Some of summers bounty is still available with fall goodies arriving. What a bounty. I walked about and decided to make some soup.
I selected a bit of an ugly group of vegetables but knew they would make a hearty dish.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Here is the part where I should spent hours compiling a recipe. As the movie gangsters say 'Forget about it.' I'll spend the little time I have to cook to prepare my dinner. I roasted the butternut squash, carrots and potatoes, The onion and shallots were chopped and sauteed with some celery. Chicken stock and lemon grass added and simmered while the veg roasted. Here is an important tip. Let the squash and potato cool before you try and scoop out the innards or you will burn yourself as I did. Remove the lemon grass stalks and blend the ingredients in a food processor or blender. I added the juice of a Valencia orange to provide acid and more flavor.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A little spoonful of yogurt completes the deal. Olive bread from The Phoenix Pastificio at the market filled in the gaps.

No comments: