Saturday, December 24, 2005

No more Grinch

Creekside Bakery Novato
My family hangs Christmas stockings on the rail every year. Norman Rockwell style with trees, Santa and wonderful stuff. The one hung for me is The Grinch. I really get a little grumpy this time of year, you see. It's not that I hate the holidays. I hate what the holidays can become. A frantic, sugar induced retail rampage. Let's try to cram a whole year of festivities into two weeks.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Mr. Grinch
We just rented the movie Christmas with the Kranks based on John Grisham's novel, Skipping Christmas. The Kranks try to opt out of the holidays and take a cruise. But alas the holidays take on a life of their own and in the end win. I kinda would like to skip the holidays as well but they continue to go on around me so what the hey.
Fudge crack is what I call it. My wife makes this fudge stuff I know that I could sell. The first bite is free and there after you would have to meet me in a back alley and pay dearly. Hey Greg can I score some fudge man. I really need to get high! You gotta pay to play dude.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Wanna buy some fudge??
So anyway, the Creekside Bakery is hidden in the back of a strip mall in lovely downtown Novato. I really didn't need any more sweets. They do have them though. Cakes and cookies and all manner of goodies looking fine in the cases. But I have fudge crack at home. I'm interested in lunch. Sandwiches and soup and specials. On this day I had chicken and rice Azteca soup that was wonderful. My daughter had her standard turkey sandwich that was served on house made bread with a side of potato salad. She needed help finishing so I volunteered. Wife had a half turkey sandwich special with cranberry sauce and stuffing. If that's a half how could you eat a whole? I forgot to take my usual copious notes about the prices but they were low as memory serves.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Chicken rice soup
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Half turkey special
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
very large turkey sandwich
Enjoy the holidays. Don't let the Grinch get you down.
Creekside Bakery and Cafe
1719 Grant Ave.
Novato,Ca. 94945
415 892-7655

2 comments:

Amy Sherman said...

Is December the longest month of the year or what? Feels like it's never going to end! Christmas must really mean "relentless" in some foreign language...

cookiecrumb said...

Greg: And you still had room left for Christmas dinner the next day? Bravo.
Amy: Hang tough. The days are already getting longer, and December's about done for.