Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Mezza Luna

Saturday May 21, 2005
Half Moon Bay Farmers Market

We arrive in town at 9am to catch the start of the market located in the parking lot of the Cetrella Restaurant on Main Street. Parking is a breeze, just a few dedicated market shoppers. This is not true as the day wears on and parking is much more difficult.

We stop first at Alba Organics whose display of multi colored carrots and chiogga beets draws our eye.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Purchase in hand we sample Amazing Gracie V's Muffaletta Olive Relish and Curiously Crisp Dipping Crackers. Wake up taste buds!!! This is what I want for breakfast everyday. A combination of olives, roasted red peppers, garlic, and olive oil has my tummy wishing for more.

We talk with owner Carol and son Sean who are manning the stand. She explains that she developed the recipe from a New Orleans classic. The company is named in honor of her Italian Mother, Grace Vivian. Later in the day I have to pry the container out of my families' hand just to save enough relish to make a muffaletta sandwich to photograph for this article.

Last stop Guisti Farms stand. Artichokes and particularly good looking fresh peas are on display. While my wife shovels a couple pounds of peas into the bag, I try to photograph the intended purchase. Denied! A couple of sturdy women repel my attempt. They are either restaurant chefs or feed a mighty big family.

The dishes we created with our purchases.

Roasted carrots
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rissotto with fresh peas
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Muffaletta Sandwich with Italian Meats and Gracie V's relish
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Life's a picnic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,
It was nice meeting you at the HMB Farmers Market. As you can see I have seen your web site and have to say its really, really, nice and I'd like to thank you such positve input on my relish and glad to see you liked it so much. If you ever come by the market again please stop by to see me and I will give you some more muffaletta and crackers. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi, its me again Amazing Gracie. I just wanted you to know that I am now doing the Corte Madera Farmers Market on Wednesdays from 12:00 am to 5:00 pm. Your site is just wonderful. Thanks, Carol Chenie